Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard? -Winnie the Pooh

When I decided to study abroad this semester I knew it would be a slightly risky situation (I mean who leaves UNC when we have that good of a basketball team??). I also took a somewhat different approach when planning. I didn’t have a list of things that I wanted to do or places to go. I just knew that I was going somewhere that was close to the water and other seemingly beautiful outdoors. But, I know now that anything I could have planned would never have lived up to everything I have seen and done while being here. I have been so many places where the beauty has taken my breath away and have sat for hours just looking at everything there is to see. And, I have heard so many stories. I have heard stories from professors, gold miners, hostel owners, friends’ parents, farmers, and students. And the greatest thing is that all of these stories have been from the most wonderful people.

It’s hard to say goodbye to a place that is so beautiful and people that just seem to match. I have learned a lot about what makes me happy and have been able to share that happiness with others. I’ve learned that sunrises are always worth the early morning and that the day that follows is often times even better; that if you ask people about themselves, they will share their story; that the climb to the peak is always worth it- even if there’s lots of sheep poop along the way; that animals can lead you to the most beautiful places; and that so many people love and appreciate the wonderful things nature has to offer us. These and so many others are things that I will not only remember, but hold close to my heart.

And, finally, just some of the aspects of life I will miss about my time here and the people I’ve met:
A night sky without airplanes
Hannah’s boots
Picking the direction you go down trails based on which is most beautiful and then suddenly realizing you can’t chose one because they are both so stunning
Dandolf the white’s many faces and surfing skills
Anna’s affinity for coconut rough
Waking up above the clouds
Rob Roy’s ice cream
Being able to reach the most beautiful places with a short drive
Sonia’s dancing
Jan’s accent
Camping in only slightly illogical places with Megan
Monkey bar (yea, just a little bit)
David’s “Boom”
Alyx's carrots
The black hole where Craig’s heart should be
Sav Jap rice balls
Charlie’s sticky notes
Tramping in the native bush
Jackie’s hilarious side comments
Morning runs along the Otago harbour
Whittaker’s dark chocolate
Shannon’s love for obscure plants and animals
Lindsey’s bejeweled laptop
Penguins
Coffee with Racheal
Lucy’s baked goods
Mountains with snow

1 comment:

  1. Mountains with snow...and Whittaker's dark chocolate....

    ReplyDelete